How to Let it Go and Shift Your Focus?
People often ask me what to do when something comes up that throws them out of the vortex, or causes them to be upset, down, frustrated, or pessimistic -- what to do when some situation in life comes up and gives you a little slap? How do you Let it GO?
We all have those moments when it feels like life has just given us a swift kick in the back-side, or even if it is just a little bolt of uneasiness and worry over some news, or someone else's bad mood, or upon learning about something sad or unwanted. For me, I can sometimes get caught up in the "bad news du jour", and get really upset about whatever I think "they" should be (or shouldn't be) doing!
I can feel it when it is happening, but I also can't quite stop doing it -- I call it having a "finger stuck in the light socket" moment, because, just as electricity will continue to surge and suck you in once a connection with it is made, so will negative energy. And, even though we all know it is not helpful to get caught up in negativity, sometimes it is very challenging to let it go and shift out of it.
The thing is, you can't just "let something go" because if you try not to think about it, you are still thinking about it. So, the only thing you can do is to shift your focus onto something else INSTEAD!
Here is what I do when it happens to me:
What are some of the ways you have been able to successfully "let it go" and shift your focus onto something uplifting?
- As soon as I notice it happening, I consciously stop,
and I ask myself:
"Is this something I want in my emotional grid?"And, if it is not something that I want to be manifesting MORE of, I shift my thoughts onto something different (ANYthing different) as soon as possible.
- I start with the basics, that my life, health, and family are all well and functioning properly, that I have the use of my body, my faculties, and my mind, that I have a roof over my head, and all (most) of my needs are met, and exceeded. (...Or, if these things aren't true, it is natural to be upset -- don't try to fight it!)
For more on this idea specifically, see this Real Life LoA page: What can make me feel better when I am so disappointed?
- I remind myself that ALL IS WELL, and that, at it's core, the Universe is in a complete state of harmony and well-being. When it appears otherwise, it is merely in the process of working itself out to be even better than I could have imagined.
- I remember that God/the Universe only has 3 answers in regard to ANY question:
- Yes, but not just yet.
- I have something even better on the way!
- I try to think of ways that the situation could end up being even better, bigger, stronger, more beautiful, elegant, or good for me than I originally thought, hoped, (or feared.) How might it turn around and end up facilitating an even better thing in the end?
Please share, the more ideas the better!