Question: My questions are about the Art of Allowing. I have only read the Abe book [The Teachings of Abraham; Esther Hicks / Abraham-Hicks] about Allowing once, but I'm not sure that I have 'got it'... So here goes: When Abe is talking about 'allowing', (I understand that they are primarily talking about allowing what we want to create to come to us,) but aren't they also talking about allowing other people to get on with their lives as they want?
Answer: Yes, you are absolutely right. In terms of the Law of Attraction and the Art of Allowing, it means to 'make peace' with ALL things AS THEY ARE - including what other people are doing.
To gain some insight, we can look at the definition of the word ALLOW:
- To give permission for something to happen or somebody to do something, or take no action or make no rule to prevent it
- To let somebody or something enter or be present in a place
- To let somebody or yourself have something, often a benefit or pleasure of some kind
(Source: Encarta® World English Dictionary © 1999 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Developed for Microsoft by Bloomsbury Publishing Plc.)
When used in the context of how to use the Universal Law of Attraction, the word 'ALLOWING' indicates biggest possible sense of the word, meaning an overall state of allowing (letting) EVERYTHING to be 'OK WITH YOU’ exactly as it is...
- Allowing yourself to be happy with yourself even if you are 20 pounds heavier than you wish
- Allowing your neighbors to be noisy without getting upset about it, because you can choose to practice focusing on something else
- Allowing other drivers on the road to behave as they do, affirming for yourself that you are safe, and that you remain in pristine condition wherever you go
- Allowing economic problems around the world to rage-on around the world and consciously decide for yourself that it is not your problem to fix (even if you could)
- Allowing yourself to love your kids, your spouse, your friends, your family even if they don't do what you want/think they should
- Allowing yourself to see beauty and find small pockets of comfort, even if there is pain around you
- Allowing other people to make their own choices (and live out the consequential experience of those choices) for themselves, knowing that your guidance is for you and only they can create for them
In other words, doing whatever you can to let life, other people, and all situations to be as they are - no matter how challenging that may be to do sometimes! ...That is the Art of Allowing!
In my experience, this does take work, and practice, because it is very hard to not have strong feelings for, and about, the people and any situations that we care about. For instance, when I see the news about the fires in Australia, or plane crashes, or natural disasters occurring around the world, or even the struggling economy, and think about the people (and animals) affected by them, my heart nearly breaks. But then I remind myself:
- It is not something I can change or control
- The situation is not affecting me, my family, or my life personally except for my choice to focus on it
- As much as I may want to be sometimes, I am not the world-police - and it is NOT my job to fix those problems (or any, really)
- The only valuable thing I CAN do is to send love and light, and pray for the highest GOOD for ALL concerned!
The full circle of life is FAR greater than I can understand, and if I let myself get caught up in what might be considered very sad for the people who ARE experiencing it, the only vibration I am sending out is "sad"... Then, through the magnifying lens of Law of Attraction, I start to mess up my own vibration AND what I am trying to attract for myself!
Most of us, myself included, have a really bad habit of getting our noses into what is really none our business - at least as far as the Law of Attraction is concerned! It can be very difficult NOT to do, especially when the other person in question is someone very close and/or whose experience will have direct consequences on our own interaction with them; that we may feel.
The antidote though, tough as it may often be, is to see/imagine/mentally experience that person as happy, whole, healthy and complete, and imagine them living the life of their own dreams. If you can believe that FOR them - you are doing FAR more to support them than words or actions EVER could! ...And doing wonders for your OWN vibration as well!
...The trick will be to NOT discuss it with them - not to try to convince them of what you can see for them, not try to influence their behavior to make it happen, not even to share the warm-fuzzies you feel when you are thinking about your Utopian vision (even if it is about someone else)!
Because, unfortunately, other people will inadvertently snap you right out of it. ...It will have to be your little secret, because trying to explain it to someone else takes the magic of what is WAY beyond words right out of the vision!
The best you can do is to imagine all other people and situations as you'd like them to be, as YOU think THEY would like to be, and know that it is in the process of being created. All is well. Everything is ALWAYS working out for the BEST for everyone - in the long term at least!
...KNOWING that ALL IS WELL is truly what it is to be practicing the Art of Allowing!
Return to the Top of the Art of Allowing Page
Return to the Real Life Law of Attraction Home Page